One Minute Microwave Chocolate Cake. A Blessing!
Happy New Year to the most amazing people who read my blog! And a Happy New Year to those who don't, too. You guys are unbelievable, so awesome, that you read the posts I put up as a hobby baker, and encourage me so much. Fierce digital and virtual hugs to all of you!
Meanwhile, this New Year has been frigid here in Delhi. Absolutely bone chilling. The tip of my nose, and my fingers have become tiny little icicles. Temperatures have dropped to 2.7 degrees, and I'm not kidding. All you want to do is wrap yourself up like a shwarma and never get out of there.
It was on one such Saturday afternoon that I had an insane craving for some chocolate cake. It was all I could see, all I could smell, all I could taste and all I could feel. Yes, I tend to get just that emotional about food related stuff!
I read on quite a few blogs and on that heaven, Pinterest, about Mug Cakes. One Minute Mug Cakes. Did I read that right? One minute? Microwave? Apparently in one mug? Again, one minute?? Oh happy day! I could prepare, make and eat my cake in less than 10 minutes (you underestimate my eating speed when I crave cake) and not make a mess? Yes people, birthday wishes ARE answered.
So here goes. My One Minute Microwave Chocolate (or Double or Triple ;) ) Cake. It's moist, springs back to touch and understands your need to eat cake in the next 5 minutes.
Mile High Yumminess!
One Minute Microwave Chocolate Cake
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp melted butter at least
- 2 tbsp flour
- 2 tbsp Cocoa powder/ Hot Chocolate powder.
- 2 tbsp sugar. You don't necessarily need to use powdered sugar for this. But this depends from oven to oven. Increase to a bit if using Cocoa Powder because it's unsweetened. I had the experience of mistaking it for sweetened Hot Chocolate powder. Long story short, I now read labels very carefully.
- A pinch each of baking powder and salt. Don;t add baking powder if you want a fudgy brownie.
- A few drops of vanilla
- An ovenproof mug/ ramekin
- Chocolate chips/ butterscotch chips/ raspberries/ nuts/ raisins/ any other embellishment, if you so want!
- Whisk together the melted butter and the sugar till mixed in the mug/ ramekin.
- Crack in the egg. Whisk it nicely.
- Mix in the cocoa powder and vanilla and whisk till nice and smooth.
- Spoon in the flour one spoon at a time. Mix well. Make sure there are no lumps.
- At this point, add in the chips/ nuts etc. Give it a stir.
- Add the salt and the baking powder. One final stir.
- Put this mug into the oven and set the microwave setting (whatever is your default) for 1 minute.
- The cake will rise alarmingly! Don't worry :)
- After that one minute, test for doneness. The cake will also fall into the cup.
- If need be, zap it in the oven in 10-20 seconds blocks unless done.
- Serve with vanilla ice cream, if it isn't freezing like it is in Delhi.
That's the last shot I got before I demolished it!
What's left? Take a spoon and dig in!
FYI, if you want a fudgey brownie like cake, don't add the baking powder and control the time.
Until the next time, eat, love and be very happy!